Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My book taste picture....


Simon at Stuck in a Book, who is the source of many good ideas, has had me wracking my brain for at least two days. His challenge for those who choose to accept it is to find an image which sums up one’s reading taste. If possible, we are to avoid including a picture of a book or a specific character.

After a considerable amount of rumination, I settled upon the wonderful From up the Rise by Stanley Spencer. This painting forms part of Spencer’s Church House project in which he imagined a series of biblical scenes in his home village of Cookham. This painting reflects my preference for twentieth century literature with ancient themes, English settings, an emphasis on character and a profound feeling for the oddness of everyday life. It is domestic but it is not narrow. It features the ordinary but of course concerns the extremely extraordinary. It is very human but not at all mundane. The villagers in the picture are about to witness Christ’s first miracle at the marriage at Cana. I am an interested sceptic when it comes to religion, but I do like a bit of magic – so here it is, and not a cup cake in sight.

Do you have a picture that sums up your reading? If you do let’s see....

23 comments:

  1. That is a good summing up! I'm still wracking my brains for something that encapsulates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea and I love your picture and answer :) I've been thinking of what fits me too. Will post about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your choice of picture! I've been trying to take part in this challenge. However, as my taste is so varied, it's hard to pinpoint one image that illustrates my taste in books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, what a cool pick. I love Spencer's work. You have a highly developed visual sense that always comes through in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo, I so very nearly picked a Stanley Spencer for my second picture (which will be appearing later this week)... but then chose someone else instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stanley Spencer is one of my favourite artists, this picture challange thing has been great. It's fascinating seeing the pictures chosen not least for the pleasure of 'getting it' with every one of them so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great idea. I'll try to do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't this fun?! Such a wonderful style of painting and being a knitter, I particularly enjoyed the shawl and sweater on the two ladies in front. Too bad about the lack of a cupcake though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting painting - and I love the way that you have linked it to your reading tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit I didn't really know about Stanley Spencer, though I've heard of him. Given his obvious sense of humour and the social commentary aspect, I couldn't help thinking of Tim Cockburn, a contemporary artist who works in Fife. Fascinating, thanks for that. M

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to describe a photo for your reading! Love it and love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. And a nice picture that you chose. I don't know that I'd find one for me- I'm reading mainly kids books these days, but it's interesting to ponder the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hannah, thank you for visiting my blog and my "Ten Best Places to Read" post. As a result I have now discovered the delights of your beautiful blog, so I suppose I owe gratitude to Simon indirectly for that! And to you again, for leading me to have a delicious browse among the works of Stanley Spencer. The picture you've chosen somehow reminds me of the people of Underworld in the Narnia book The Silver Chair (but maybe that's just me, and has to do with my having a cat called Marsh-wiggle). All the best, and it's nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much all for your comments. I have been enormously impressed by the imagination shown in response to Simon - so many interesting visions and explanations!

    Have a good evening all - its *FRIDAY* tomorrow!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your picture is new to me, and fascinating. It seems to sum up your preferences quite well! I can't imagine what I'd choose for myself, but I enjoyed learning about you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool post! I can't begin to even imagine a picture that would sum up my reading tastes, but now I am going to be thinking about it and looking around. If I come up with something fairly representative I will have to share it with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So interesting, and hasn't this been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. love what you decided on! I like this idea, have to give it a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely picture and your explanation is good....but I have no idea what to pick..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I can't believe how creative you all were. I have no idea what painting says me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a really intriguing idea! I will see if I can come up with something for my own reading tastes!

    ReplyDelete