Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Monday, July 19, 2010

St. Petersburg in a Nancy Mitford frame of mind

I was properly mortified on Thursday evening when I opened an email from Frances at Heywood Hill inviting me to the launch of the new Capuchin Classic, Nancy Mitford's Highland Fling. Regular readers of this blog will know that I am a great fan of the mint green voyage of rediscovery that is Capuchin. The reason for the mortification is two fold. Firstly, by the time I opened the email, the party had practically already started, and secondly, I couldn't go in any case, as I was already on my way to St. Petersburg.

It was our first time in the "Venice of the north" and in Russia and what a time it was. We had a wonderful taste of Russian culture at the wedding of dear friends and topped it off with a splendid tour of some of the city's sights before dragging out weary and sleep-deprived bodies back home last night.
How much reading did I do? Well, not as much as planned. I spent most of the flight out sad about having missed the Capuchin bash, and most of the flight home, fast asleep. I feel like a very naughty book blogger. The book that I had with me, and which I did read a bit of was Nancy Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate - the lovely, if slightly dilapidated copy that you see here. More reflections on that; later.

15 comments:

  1. What a shame about missing the launch, that might have been fun, but St Petersburg sounds ace - would love to hear more about that. Love in a cold climate is lots of fun, so I'm hoping you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the lunch might have been nice, but from down here in the antipodes the trip to St P looks wonderful and I love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame you missed out on such an opportunity but at the same time what a wonderful experience to be able to visit such wonderful places. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Nancy Mitford - utterly! St Petersburg sounds like an amazing place, I have wanted to go there for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... I'd love to hear more about St. Petersburg and Nancy Mitford!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have felt completely torn! Thank goodness you had a wonderful wedding and St Petersburg to ease the pain of missing the Capuchin event! I am sure there will be others!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry that you missed the event, although it does sound like you had an incredible time otherwise! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Mitford when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I'm just so jealous that you got to St Petersburg! I've always wanted to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adored that book. And everything else written about the family. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kismet connection we share is too much! My friend is moving to Scotland so I bought him a used copy of Highland Fling. When it came in the mail I had to do everything in my power to actually give it to him, my only consolation being I'll buy the Capuchin edition from overseas...the fact you were invited is to much for me to handle! what a dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear you had a lovely time in St. Petersburg, even if you did miss the launch party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you missed the book event and glad you had a lovely time in St. Petersburg. I hope you let us know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why is it that fun things always seem to pile up at the same time? I have a "fancy" book club edition of this book, but I like your old Penguin. I haven't read it yet because it is a follow-up to another Mitford novel which I also haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow sorry to hear you couldn't make it, but at least you were able to take a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to visit St.Petersburg! You must tell us more about it.

    I think that 'Love in a Cold Climate' would be a good book to read in that city. Parts of it would have such an old-world, aristocratic atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete