Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Thursday, September 30, 2010

Everyone needs an Albanian in their life...

And if you don't believe me, have a read of any of Ismail Kadare's novels. My favourite is Broken April which I read last summer whilst travelling in Albania's Thethi national park, one of the most remote parts of Europe and the setting for this haunting novel. Feast your eyes on this picture, which I took at the bottom of the Thethi valley.

Those of you who live within a reasonable distance of London may be interested in an event being hosted by English PEN as part of FLOW the free word festival on Tuesday next week (5th October). It is billed as The Accident: Ismail Kadare in conversation with Julian Evans. What more could any person want? All the information you could possibly need is here. It looks good. If I can tear myself away from the office (which is by no means certain), I will be there....

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, that picture is gorgeous! I have never read a book by an Albanian author, so I will have to be on the lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That park looks so lovely. I would love to plop down near there and read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, you've twisted my arm - I'm putting Albania on my long list of places I must visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear all - glad that you liked the picture. I didn't make it to the talk in the end (sob!) but if I have inspired any hohidays to Albania then I will be happy.

    Mystica - glad you like it - it was ever more lovely for real.

    Zibilee - thank you - this guy is kind of the "main" Albanian writer who is recognised outside Albania

    Thomas - The Thethi valley is extremely remote and for this reason - wonderfully wonderfully quiet - so it is a perfect place for a read.

    StephanieD - it is well worth it.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete