Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Monday, September 20, 2010

Everyone’s a critic? Calling all readers, writers, thinkers and bloggers for a real live event, feat. DOVEGREYREADER…

There has been a change of timetable for the Stoneham Travelling Circus and come Wednesday night, we will be sitting on the eurostar drinking mini bottles of red wine and trying to get into a London mood. Goodbye French countryside, hello grubby monolith, which we know so well.


The huge advantage of coming home earlier than planned is that I will now be able to attend the Everyone’s A Critic night on Thursday 23rd September. The event is organised by the laudable English PEN in association wth FLOW – the Free Word Festival. It takes place in the easy-to-get –to and not a little trendy Farringdon Road.


The discussion will focus on the future of the professional literary critic. Whose recommendations really influence reading habits? Is the book blogosphere a shot in the arm for reviewing culture or does it represent a lamentable dumbing down?

Leading the discussion will be Sam Leith, former literary editor of The Daily Telegraph, Erica Wagner, literary editor of The Times, and in a rare public appearance, the book blogosphere’s very own Lynne Hatwell, AKA, Dovegreyreader.


Tickets are a snip at £6 or £3 for concessions and PEN members, and all the details anyone could need are here. It is probably best to book ahead. I hope to meet some of you there.

12 comments:

  1. That sounds fun - too bad it's a school night for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so love to go to this - but my London night this week is Friday. Argh! Please tell us EXACTLY what they say. No pressure!

    Leaving the French countryside sounds an utter wrench.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a lovely time in London and I look forward to hearing more of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I come across such things I wish I was living anywhere in the UK so I would at least have the chance to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a lovely time- I wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to attend things like this but as I live abroad, it makes it very difficult. I hope you have a great time though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Attending this event should definitely soften the blow of returning to an autumnal London. I'm planning to be there for the event so maybe I'll see you there:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also live abroad, so I won't be able to make it, but it does sound like it will be a good time. Bring back some conclusions and thoughts for us, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course everyone's a critic, just not necessarily a coherent one! Would love to have made this but sadly stuck in the shire. Hey ho.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would move to the UK just for this! Let us know what comes from it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds fun - look forward to your thoughts on the event.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all for your comments, and I feel wretched at not having responded sooner.... A report on what was a very interesting symposium (for that is what I suppose it was...) coming soon.

    Bon weekend

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete