Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The (bookish) pleasures of home

So there are some good things about coming back to England, and many of them are books. Here in particular are what has recently floated to the top of my TBR…

The Booker prize winning best seller Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, Iain Pears’ latest offering Stone’s Fall (I couldn’t help it, I loved An Instance of the Fingerpost) and the absurdly titled Fanny by Gaslight by Michael Sadleir. At the less well known end of the spectrum, I have Clare Cameron’s Rustle of Spring, Snakes and Ladders by Marjory Todd and the wonderfully titled Surplus Women by G. C. Pain….

12 comments:

  1. I think it must be lovely to be home and have a huge supply of English books on your doorstep :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! I've been wanting to read Stone's fall for a while because I enjoyed The Instance at the Fingerpost but I can't find a copy in my neck of the woods. I'm looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely for you! I left my copy of Stone's Fall in Italy to be read when we go next. I remember you recommended An Instance of the Fingerpost and it's on my TBR pile.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy reading! It seems like a wonderful pile of books. I am currently reading J.D.Salinger's Franny and Zooey, will probably read Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, I just wanted you to know that after I read your fabulous post on Forlorn Sunset, I went out and grabbed a copy of my own. It just arrived in the mail this week, and I am so excited about it! I will be excited to hear what you think of Fanny Gaslight. Also, I have had a copy of Wolf Hall lingering around here since it's release, and can't wait to give it a try. It sounds like it's going to be the perfect book for me, and I also am interested in hearing what you think of it! Enjoy all the books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh . . . Wolf Hall!! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your reading. (I just did not like Wolf Hall!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home. That is a great pile of books to come home to :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Wolf Hall" is so great! You should look forward to that, it is a seriously good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back to Blighty Hannah! Great pile of books. I LOVED Wolf Hall.

    Happy reading.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stone's Fall is gripping. And Wolf Hall is even better. I do love a big, fat book that you can't put down!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had An Instance at the Fingerpost on my bookshelf for years. Thanks for reminding me about it and giving me a nudge to pull it out.

    ReplyDelete