Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Monday, October 25, 2010

Hi – Ho! Hever Castle (with Wolf Hall in tow)

Saturday was a sharp clear coldish day and what better circumstances for going around the wonderful Hever Castle with my half read copy of Wolf Hall under my arm? For those of you who are not regular Hever-beavors – Hever Castle is a 14th century moated castle in Kent, in the south of England and it was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, the second queen of Henry VIII who, as we all know, met a sticky end in the tower of London. I went there for the first time when I was a little girl and as a grown up I have visited in all moods and weathers. The thing which struck me on my last visit also struck me on my first, when I myself was quite small: it is tiny. It feels like a toy castle. That is not to say that there is no menace in its dingy doorways and narrow passages. Actually, the whole place reminds me slightly of this eerie line from Wolf Hall: “Every journey ends; terminates, at some pier, some mist-shrouded wharf, where torches are waiting”.

Here is a bit of a taster













13 comments:

  1. These photos are awesome Hannah. I have W.Hall as an eBook but have not read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, lovely - never been to Hever, but will be stopping in when we visit friends in December - this has whetted my appetite! And Wolf Hall? AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Hever Castle - I loved Wolf Hall, can't wait for you to finish and tell us what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these photos! I would love the chance to visit Hever Castle someday... And I am also interested in what you will think about Wolf Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Especially loved the last one. I so want to visit Hever castle now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have fond memories of Hever Castle and love the Tudor period - so full of intrigue, politics and 16th century spy-masters! Wolf Hall is too wonderful for words of course! I'm definitely a Hever-beavor!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fascinating to visit while reading Wolf Hall, which has so much of Anne. Beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big Tudor fan and visited Hever Castle for the first time last year. I was also struck by how small it is but loved it all the same. It is the castle you imagine as a child, moat, turrets and all! Cannot wait to return. Great photos!

    In case you're interested I run a website called 'On the Tudor Trail' and have 28 locations that you can visit today that Anne Boleyn visited in her day. Lots of other Tudor information as well. Drop in and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us on a lovely trip to Hever Castle. I've not heard of it before, but it looks wonderful. Wolf Hall sounds wonderful too. I've only heard enthusiastic responses to it, and am keen to get to it sometime soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! Visiting Hever Castle while reading Wolf Hall!! I'm so envious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool to be able to go to such an historic place--and more than once, no less!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to Hever Castle, which is a horrible thing to admit to, being the Tudor geek that I am. Thank you for signposting me to Wolf Hall, though. Must get a copy now!

    ReplyDelete