Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The weekly portrait: Harold Monro

I have searched and searched and I cannot find a portrait of the poet Harold Monro (1879-1932) other than this which is, as you can see, that featured on the cover of his biography. I was tickled to find out a bit about him after reading the following in Marjorie Todd's memoir Snakes and Ladders:

"Most of the young men did actually work at one thing or another, I think, though there were always a few playboys among them. I once overheard a conversation between two of them, and so did the poet Harold Monro who was sitting next to me, leaning blindly forward with both hands on his stick.


After a while he asked them quietly, "what do you do?"


"Oh" one of the young men answered airily, "I drink you know, and I fornicate."


"For which firm do you fornicate?" asked Harold Monro."


So, on that note, I may have to find out more about him.

3 comments:

  1. Martin Seymour-Smith has high praise for Monro's best poems in his "New Guide to Modern World Literature."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Just Brilliant!
    Please post more as you discover him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's had me hooked. Waiting for more on Monroe here!

    ReplyDelete