Welcome to this my blog - a record of my life with books and pictures



Sunday, May 6, 2012

Travelling in shadow with John Le Carre

A friend of mine’s father considers that there is no finer novel nor more complete intellectual exercise than the wonderful Tinker Tailor Solider Spy. Although I don’t think I would go quite as far as that, I am very, very fond of it and very much in love with its hero, George Smiley. It came as a surprise therefore to recently discover that there is Smiley beyond the famous trilogy of Tinker, Tailor, The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley’s People. Two rather splendid novellas, Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality kept me company on a recent trip to Italy.

In Call for the Dead, Smiley finds himself investigating the death of a civil servant who has only just been subjected (and passed) a security check by Smiley himself. He has apparently killed himself, but Smiley smells a rat and chases down the truth from leafy suburbia to dingy London pubs and Thames side garages. He is nearly killed twice but manages to survive with his wits, his outstanding spy-craft and the help of Mendal and Guillam (trusty side-kicks who will be familiar to Tinker, Tailor fans). I read the book in a hill-top town called Ravello on the Amalfi coast on a day when the whole place was blanketed in cloud and I think that rather helped me to get in the mood. I could just about see the page although neither I nor anyone else could see normal things like buildings and pavements.

The day after (and with a little more sunshine), I dived straight into A Murder of Quality. This is a strange novella for Smiley to have become embroiled in as it is really a straight forward murder mystery, with elements of spy wallpaper. It is not about espionage. Rather it is about the brutal murder of a non-conformist teacher’s wife in a public school. It deals, as Le Carre is wont to deal (and indeed, there is no reason why he shouldn’t) with the overwhelming significance of class in British society – its power to shape and distort and dehumanise.

These are simple easy books but they show how Le Carre never lets his standards slip. The writing is fluid and excellent, always saying just the right amount and never too much. His books are always about something and he never falls into the trap of thinking that because he has a genre that means that there is no need for substance or thought.

Smiley is a character who has repaid strenuous effort and thought on his creator’s part. He is a complex and flawed wonder. One can’t help but slightly take the impression that Smiley is an idealised version of Le Carre himself. He is divided between the intellectually curious academic and the sharp-eyed, sharp-witted memoriser of dangers, the wounded cuckold with much to prove and the Smiley who actually wants to win and to be the best. His social position is deliberately ambiguous, as Le Carre puts it in Call for the Dead “Smiley, without school, parents, regiment or trade, without wealth or poverty, travelled without labels in the guard’s van of the social express”. His cleverness and reserved nature and loyalty to those who deserve it make him lovable, but equally he is a most flawed hero. Both Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality testify to this. I will not say how as I don’t want to spoil the books for readers of this blog – but he emerges at the end of both of them a little more shadowy than before.

Readers of this blog may recall that I have had a foray down the path of espionage before, and very much enjoyed it, here.

As usual there are other excellent opinions around. In particular from Double O Section and From Smiler with Love. I have included a picture of Le Carre and of Ravello, but for the purposes of this blog, you will have to imagine it dripping in cloud.

9 comments:

  1. Great review - I really want to read these now. I've been contemplating a reread of Tinker, Tailor, but you've persuaded me to branch out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great post. i look forward to reading le carre soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are back! Welcome!
    This (and the books mentioned) is good news ... and my husband will enjoy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all and thank you for visiting and commenting!

    Bibliolathus - these novellas are worth a go. they are not really as rich as TTSS, but they are still excellent and fascinating windows into Le Carre's development of Smiley.

    Marie - well I hope that you enjoy his work!

    Aguja - yes - trying to be, I miss blogging very much. I hope that you and your husband enjoy.

    Happy Monday to all of you,

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read some of the Le Carre novels years ago, and recently, have considered going back to the beginning. This post further encourages me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back here again having just read both books. My husband and I really enjoyed them - great character, Smiley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. could you check out my literature blog please?! http://literaturespy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interestingly 'Call for the Dead' is where Smiley is heard by Guillam quoting 'The Duchess of Amalfi'. It's kind of a literary coincidence - I love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete